Temporary Skills Shortage Visa in Australia
What is a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) in Australia
Temporary Skills Shortage Visa is specifically made for foreign workers to fill a need that cannot be filled in the job market by local Australian workers (Australian citizens/PRs).In other words, if an employer is unable to find any local worker to perform a particular occupation, it could hire a foreign worker under the TSS visa program.
TSS visa has 3 streams and all streams have different criteria for instance: –
- Firstly, the occupation has to be on either MLTSSL (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List) or ROL (Regional Occupation List). Please note that the ROL is only applicable to Regional Employers.
- Secondly, an applicant can get a visa for up to 4 years under this stream.
- Thirdly, an applicant could potentially transition to Permanent Residency visa if sponsored under this stream.
Short Term Stream
- Firstly, the occupation has to be on STSOL (Short-term Skilled Occupation List)
- Secondly, can get a visa for up to 2 years and another extension of 2 years can be applied for.
- Thirdly, an applicant will have to satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria.
- In conclusion, CAN NOT transition to a Permanent Residency visa if sponsored under this stream.
Labour Agreement Stream
- The stream is for sponsored applicants who are under a labor agreement with the Australian Government.
- The criteria for this stream are determined by the content of the labor agreement.
- Labor agreements need to be company-specific, Designated Area-specific or Industry-specific, etc.
Steps in applying for a TSS Visa
In addition, there are 3 different applications that need to be submitted as part of a TSS visa. Moreover, they need to be in the same order as listed below: –
SBS (Standard Business Sponsorship)
- The sponsor should make the application (Employing Business)
- Sponsors should be lawfully and actively operating inside Australia
- No Adverse information against the sponsor
- Sponsorship is generally valid for 5 years after the date of the grant.
- Application by the sponsor lodged on the applicant’s behalf nominating the applicant to work in a particular occupation.
- SBS must be valid
- The position should be genuine and continuing
- Salary must meet Annual Market Salary Rate
- Labour Market Testing (evidence that no local worker was available for the position)
- The occupation should be on the relevant list.
- All the criteria for making a valid application need to be satisfied
- Approved Nomination
- No age limits
- English Language requirements
- Skills Assessment mandatory for applicants from certain countries and with certain occupations
- Should have complied with previous visa conditions.
- Firstly, must work for the sponsor
- Secondly, must maintain health insurance
Get details about the top courses in Australia.